Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Hey y'all, this here is Buford."

Have you ever wondered how the rest of the world views American English? If so, you're in luck, because I can tell you! At least I can tell you what Chinese textbooks say. I found the picture below in my students' English textbook. They were covering a unit on the difference between America and Britain, including the differences in language. This story about Texas was included in the unit, with the intention to show Chinese students how some people in America speak. 

Enjoy....


Really? When I was just a pup? Try explaining what that means to Chinese students! This is funny, but I did try to explain that most people don't actually talk like this. At least after reading this, I understood why so many students chose the names Buford and Lester as their English names!


Last weekend, we took a quick overnight trip to Wuhan to meet all of the new teachers working with Zhong Relations and to catch up with old friends. While we were there, we took a trip to Metro, which is basically the Sam's Club of China. Camille and I were so excited over all of the Western treasures you can purchase there! For the first time since moving to China over a year ago, we have actual cheese at our home AND sour cream AND pita bread!!!! Being away from home really makes you appreciate the little things in life!


Look at all these yummy treasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment