Monday, February 13, 2012

Spring Festival Travels Part 5: Shenzhen

Well the last stop of our journey was Shenzhen, China. We came to this city in southern China just to visit our great friend, Dawn. Dawn moved to Shenzhen from Huangshi over a month ago for work and to visit her sister and we missed her too much! The three of us got to go and spend a few days with her. Basically every single day we were there we went to Dawn's place of work, Illy Coffee, to hang out, grab a cup of joe, talk to Dawn, and getting some good reading time in! We were so exhausted by this point from all of the traveling that we weren't really motivated to be tourists around this city. Not to mention we came from 90 degree weather in Thailand jumping straight into 30 degree weather in Shenzhen. It was a rough transition for us and left us wanting to stay warm and cozy inside her coffee shop. 


One day, however, we were tourists and went to the Window of the World. It is a huge park filled with miniatures and models of all of the world's most famous sights. Here are Camille and Aaron just before going inside the park.


We got to see the miniatures of the famous sites in Bangkok, Thailand that we had just seen days before!


Aaron finally got to see the Grand Palace...the small version anyway! (I told you in the Bangkok post that Aaron couldn't go in because he was wearing shorts and there was a dress code)


Look! I'm in Japan now!


Its Camille! She looks so tiny in Asia!


We are in Asia! It looks pretty!



Camille is at the Taj Mahal!


It was my first trip to Australia :)


Camille's first trip to Italy!


Its the leaning tower of Pisa! With the Eiffel Tower in the background! Typical...Camille is destroying everything and I am the one trying to save it! Ha just kidding, I only said that because I know Camille will read this! You're welcome Cam! By the way...I'm writing this while sitting right next to her!


Stonehenge.


Eiffel Tower picture. We are such typical tourists.


Camille enjoying Paris!


They also had an indoor ski ramp and snow area, but we only went to look at it and take a picture, we didn't actually ski.


Tiny Colosseum. I guess I should have put a disclaimer that pretty much all of my pictures are of Camille! Its just how it worked out from the trip... I take a picture with my camera so I make Cam stand by whatever I'm taking a picture of and then she does the same to me. So in the end I have a ton of pictures of her and she has a ton of pictures of me...whoops! Guess Cam is the lucky one? Just kidding...again I know Cam will read this!


I got to see the Pyramids of Egypt...one of my goals in life!
Unfortunately, once it got dark we couldn't really see anything and none of the pictures came out. Foolishly we started out in Asia, the place we currently live and see all the time and didn't get to see Africa or the Americas. They also had rides and events you could partake in, but since it was cold and dark we didn't get to do any of it! Since I am a cheesy tourist, I still enjoyed the visit!



Remember how I told you I can double dog dare Camille to do lots of fun things?!?! Well this was one of those times. Camille was complaining that she was tired so I dared her to sit on the floor of the subway. No one in China ever does this because usually the ground is dirty, but this one looked pretty clean, so we figured it was ok. She got some pretty interesting stares from fellow passengers. To make it more fun for the foreigners and Dawn, I dared to her to welcome all of the people who came on the train in Chinese and say goodbye to all of the people leaving the train. Theres a good chance I am the only person who found this highly amusing, maybe Dawn did too, but thats probably it. Something to know is that the later at night it gets, the more delirious and tired I get it, so the more I find Camille funny. Seriously, she can say and do just about anything and I will laugh. This stunt brought on fits of laughter and as I recall, a few tears of joy! Ms. Teri, aren't you so proud of your daughter right now?


These faces pretty much sum up what they thought about Cam sitting on the ground! This was our last night in Shenzhen with Dawn! I miss her already! 


We had to end the trip early because we found out from our boss that we had to start school a week earlier than we thought! I'd just like to point out that Camille and I were the ONLY ones on our team that had to start! It was ok though, because we were tired and freezing. We were staying with Dawn's kind friend who didn't mind having three foreigners camp out at her apartment for a few days. But, Chinese people don't use heaters during the winter, they just stay constantly bundled up, take hot showers, and drink hot water. We are not used to living like this at all, and as I mentioned earlier it was in the 30s and 40s while we were there. Rough! Dawn was so funny though. She was worried Camille and I were too cold and would use the blow dryer to warm up the bed for us! HA it actually worked quite well! Thanks Dawn! We were sad to say goodbye to Dawn, but were looking forward to being back home in a warm bed and catching up on some much needed sleep.

THE END OF SPRING FESTIVAL TRAVELS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment